Mental Health Services
We aim to deliver the best care to patients, people and families in our local communities by working effectively with partners to help people live well. Our strategy is to deliver whole person, place-based care using a population-based approach to mental disorder prevention and mental wellbeing promotion.
NHS mental health services in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin are provided by Midlands Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT). There is a lot of useful information on their website.
To learn more about different mental health issues and how they can affect you, visit ‘Every Mind Matters’.
Adult Mental Health Services
NHS 111 select mental health
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis (something that makes you feel unsafe, distressed, or worried about your mental health), you can now contact your local crisis service in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin by calling NHS 111 and selecting the mental health option.
Your mental health needs will then be assessed by someone who will be able to listen to your concerns and help you get the support you need. They can offer advice over the phone, put you in contact with crisis services or refer you to most appropriate service.
You can call for yourself, or someone else. NHS 111 is for all ages, including children and young people and those with neurodevelopmental needs.
NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Talking Therapies (also known as Improving Access to Psychological Therapy or IAPT)
Talking therapies are effective and confidential treatments delivered by fully trained and accredited practitioners. They can help with common mental health problems like stress, anxiety and depression.
You can access talking therapies for free on the NHS. You can refer yourself directly to an NHS talking therapies service without a referral from a GP, or a GP can refer you.
You can self-refer to NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Talking Therapies (also known as IAPT) in the following ways:
- Shropshire: Please complete an online self-referral form, or call 0300 123 6020
- Telford and Wrekin: Please complete an online self-referral form or call 01952 457 415 (9.30am – 4.30pm, Mon to Fri)
Help is available in person, by video, over the phone or as an online course.
For more information click here.
To access services
An Access Team provides a single point of contact for all MPFT's adult mental health services, including people with dementia. The team is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Access Team
Telephone: 0808 196 4501
The deaf health charity SignHealth provides psychological therapy and support. You can complete an online self-referral, or contact SignHealth’s therapy team via text on 07984 439473, by calling 07966 976747, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and links to its BSL health video library visit Psychological Therapy - SignHealth.
Children’s Mental Health Services
Children’s mental health services are provided by BeeU.
BeeU is the emotional health and wellbeing service for people, up to the age of 25, living in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
Bee U Access Team 0300 124 0093.
Student mental wellbeing tool kits
Schools University and further education
Teachers and education professionals Parents and carers
Depression, Anxiety or Low Mood
- The Telford Primary Care Wellbeing Service offer free information, guidance and talking therapies. Phone the service on 01952 457415 (between 9.30am and 4.30pm)
- SilverCloud offers secure, immediate access to online supported CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) programmes, tailored to your specific needs
- Kooth offers free, safe and anonymous online support for children and young people
- Family Connect and Family Information Service offer information about childcare settings, local family support organisations and leisure facilities in and around Telford and Shropshire
- BeeU is Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin’s Children and Families Emotional Health and Wellbeing Service
- You can call the Samaritans in confidence and talk about whatever you want, for free, any time, from any phone on 116 123
- Shropshire Psychological Therapies offers a range of support such as guided self-help, CBT and counselling. Phone the service on 0300 123 6020
Telford STaRS provides free, confidential and easy to access service for anyone needing support with their alcohol or drug use living in Telford and Wrekin.
Recharge Telford, will support you if you are aged 12-21 and have issues with drugs, alcohol or any addiction, or if you live with a family member who struggles with addiction.
Suicide and suicidal thoughts
What are the signs and what should you say if you think someone may take their own life:
- Here is advice around preferred language
- This interactive Zero Suicide Alliance 20-min training will help guide you through the warning signs and what to say.
The loss of a loved one through sudden unexplained death and suicide is a uniquely devastating circumstance. It can create a particularly complex set of feelings in those left behind and leave us with unanswered questions which are hard to resolve. Specialist support is available to people who have been bereaved and need support and guidance during this period of time. Click here to learn more.