Steve badly burnt his arm on the BBQ

I love getting the barbeque out when the weather is nice. 

Last weekend, we got out the barbeque and lit it up for a quick family dinner. Everything was going smoothly, and the food wasn’t burning, but as I went to flip a burger, I burnt my arm on the grill.  

My wife took me to the Minor Injury Unit (MIU) in Whitchurch who helped care for the burn.  

From my arrival to assessment and treatment, I was reassured by the kind staff there and was home before all the food had been eaten.  

The great thing about an MIU is that it’s a walk-in service. Plus, they can also refer you to A&E if necessary or to another, more suitable, service. 

Just make sure you check their opening hours and only use MIUs for the following: 

  • Bites, human and animal 
  • Cuts and lacerations 
  • Foreign bodies in the eyes, nose and ears 
  • X-Ray & Fractures that require plaster only (Ages 5 years and above) 
  • Minor burns and scalds 
  • Minor head injuries (with no loss of consciousness) 
  • Soft tissue injuries, for example sprains and bruises 
  • Wound infections 


The four MIUs across the local area are located in Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Oswestry and Whitchurch. You can find out more about them here. 

Back to 'Think which service?'

Page last updated 24 May 2024