If you feel that an adult with care and support needs is experiencing or at risk of experiencing abuse and neglect and needs help to protect themselves from that abuse then please ring:
Shropshire Council 03456789 044. Out of hours 03456789 040
Telford and Wrekin Council 01952 385385. Out of hours 01952 676500
NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin is committed to safeguarding the wellbeing of adults who access the services we commission. We are a member of the local Safeguarding Partnerships.
For the latest information on adult safeguarding please visit the Safeguarding Adult Partnership websites
We want to make sure that staff have appropriate policies, procedures, training and access to expert advice to ensure that adults at risk are identified and, where necessary, get the appropriate protection. All staff within health services have a responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of patients and colleagues.
Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect. It also means making sure that the adult’s wellbeing is promoted including, listening to their views, wishes, feelings and beliefs in deciding on any action.
The safeguarding duties apply to an adult who:
- Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs)
- Is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
- As a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect
Prevent harm and reduce the risk of abuse or neglect to adults with care and support needs
- Stop abuse or neglect wherever possible
- Safeguard adults in a way that supports them in making choices and having control about how they want to live
- Promote an approach that concentrates on improving life for the adults concerned
- Raise public awareness so that communities as a whole, alongside professionals, play their part in preventing, identifying and responding to abuse and neglect
- Provide information and support in accessible ways to help people understand the different types of abuse, how to stay safe and what to do to raise a concern about the safety or wellbeing of an adult
- Address what has caused the abuse or neglect
If you are worried that an adult person with care and support needs is being abused or neglected, please say something.
In an emergency dial 999, but for other calls to the police please ring 101.
Reporting a concern in Telford and Wrekin
Telford and Wrekin Council Family Connect
Telephone: 01952 385385 (when prompted please select option 3)
Monday to Friday from 9am - 5pm
Telford and Wrekin Council Emergency Duty team
Telephone: 01952 676500 Monday to Sunday after 5pm
Reporting a concern in Shropshire
Shropshire Council First Point of Contact team
0345 678 9044 Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4pm.
Shropshire Council Emergency Social Work Duty Team
0345 678 9040.
West Mercia Police
Telephone: 0300 333 3000 or 101
Contact Details for Adult Safeguarding Lead:
Paul Cooper (Designated Professional Adult Safeguarding), NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin
Rachel Jones, NHS Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin