Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin Talking Therapies Service providing support for people struggling with their mental health
The Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin Talking Therapies Service at Midlands Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) offers support to people who are struggling with their mental health. This may include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling and self-help techniques, among other support.
Alongside the support provided by the service, the 5 Ways to Wellbeing are research-based actions that can help with positive mental health:
- Connect – Connecting with other people can help with our self-esteem and give us space to share positive experiences. If you are unsure where to begin with building connections, our teams can help signpost you to places of interest, look at joining a group to learn skills and techniques, and support you with building motivation and reducing anxiety around connecting with others.
- Be active – Physical activity can make a huge difference to our mood, and help us relax if we are feeling tense. For some people, particularly those with long-term health conditions being physically active can be a huge challenge. We can help with starting small, pacing and focusing on adapting activities to make them achievable.
- Take notice – Children are always fascinated by the world around them, but we tend to lose this connection as adults! Focusing on being in the present moment can help ground us, but this can be hard to do if you are stressed or worried about something. Our team can teach you techniques to help you refocus and relax.
- Keep learning – Keeping our brain active not only helps with our mental wellbeing, but can also give us a sense of purpose. Learning Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) techniques with our team can give you skills you can practice for life to help whenever you are experiencing difficult times.
- Give to others – Being kind to other people helps us to connect and belong; this can be as simple as saying ‘thank you’ to someone. Through the service’s online CBT programme, Silvercloud you can learn skills and then leave comments with advice and support for others who are also using the programme.
Contact the Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin Talking Therapies team for support:
- For people aged 16+ with a Telford & Wrekin GP, you can self-refer online at https://twiapt.mpft.nhs.ukor by calling 01952 457 415
- For people aged 16+ with a Shropshire GP, you can self-refer online at https://shropshireiapt.mpft.nhs.ukor by calling 0300 123 6020
If you live in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin and need urgent support for your mental health, call MPFT’s 24/7 mental health helpline on 0808 196 4501, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.