Series of events across the county to mark Carers Rights Day 2023
A series of events for Shropshire’s carers are being held to mark Carers Rights Day (Thursday 23 November).
The annual event run by Carers UK, aims to raise awareness of the rights of unpaid and family carers. Each year, Carers Rights Day helps to:
- ensure carers are aware of their rights.
- let carers know where to get help and support.
- raise awareness of the needs of carers.
The free events organised by Shropshire Council’s Carers Support Service will include talks on social care funding and carers assessments and will provide carers the opportunity to find out more about what rights they have and what support is available for them.
Carers Rights Day events will be at the following locations:
- Oswestry Library – Thursday 23 November from 10am to 12:30pm – more details can be found at Carers Right's Day 2023 Oswestry | Shropshire Council. Booking is advised.
- Bridgnorth Library – Thursday 23 November from 10am to 12:30pm - more details can be found at Carers Right's Day 2023 Bridgnorth | Shropshire Council. Booking is advised.
Drop in event
- Shrewsbury Market Hall – Friday 24 November from 10:30am to 3:00pm - more details can be found at Carers Right's Day 2023 Shrewsbury Market Hall | Shropshire Council – no need to book.
Refreshments will be provided and those who cannot attend will be able to watch the event online. To book your place and for more details about the events, email Shropshire.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01743 341995.
Cecilia Motley Cabinet Member for adult social care, public health and communities said:
“Shropshire Council places huge value on the role of unpaid carers and recognises the importance of unpaid caring in supporting the health and wellbeing of people in Shropshire. Many people are taking on more caring responsibilities for their relatives and friends who have disabilities, mental health, or addiction problems, are ill or older and who need support.
“It’s essential that carers understand their rights and can find the advice and support that they are looking for. Carers need to know their rights wherever they are in their caring journey: whether they are in the workplace, in a healthcare setting, when interacting with professionals, or at home.
“We want carers in Shropshire to get the right advice and support and to do this in ways and at times that suit them best. Our Carers Rights Day events can help to empower carers with information and support, so they can feel confident asking for what they need.
“Please do try and attend one of these or if you can access a computer, you can join the event online.”
Carers in Shropshire looking for advice and support can speak to someone in our Shropshire Carers Support Team by calling 01743 341995 (Mondays to Fridays 9am-5pm, or emailing email@example.com
Shropshire Carers Support ream have also launched the Winter Wellness Guide for Carers 2023. The guide includes a wealth of information for carers about staying well over the winter into one useful guide. You can find this guide at https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/shropshire-choices/caring-for-someone-else/
For more information about Carers Rights Day visit: https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/carers-rights-day